You want to sell your Oklahoma City house, and you want to get top dollar, and you want to sell it fast.
But…..”What do I need to do to sell my house in Oklahoma City“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar that the market will bear:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your Oklahoma City house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Get the carpets cleaned. Every inch of glass needs to be sparkling. Make sure you pay extra attention to bathrooms and the shower area. Don’t forget the lawn either. Keep clothes put away and trash taken out. Spend $50 on candles and keep the lit when buyers are around. Dust everywhere!
Some buyers won’t look at a house or make an offer if it looks dirty or smells funny. Sounds crazy but it happens all the time.
2) Create a cohesive, neutral style. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. In fact, some subtle, neutral colors can really help change the image of spaces – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while a deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep (but be careful, dark colors will also make rooms feel small).
Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professionals help. One of the best “bang for your buck” improvements you can make to a house is fresh paint. However, be careful here and don’t do a crappy paint job. Even with fresh paint, buyers will be turned off if you spread paint on the trim or windows or tile. Do it right yourself or pay someone to do it right.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. Yeah, it might feel like a waste of money to spend an extra couple hundred bucks on new fans or appliances. However, it will make a big difference in the minds of the buyers and make them feel comfortable and impressed with your house. If your AC unit is 30 years old and you feel it will go out soon, do you think the person buying your home won’t notice that or will want to take on that burden? Trust me, they factor it into their offer.
Make sure you stay in compliance with all the laws. If a drawer doesn’t shut right or a faucet leaks or a toilet runs or window doesn’t shut….FIX IT. If you don’t, it WILL come up in the buyer’s inspection report. Guess who they ask to fix it then? Guess who pays for it? Either you do or the buyer walks.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through BEFORE you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a lesser rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an inspection report on the condition of the house before they make an offer. It often results in higher offers and less stress for everyone involved.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale. A new pool might cost you $30,000 to install but doesn’t increase the value of your house by $30,000.
Paint and a new front door are about the only safe investments – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money. If you do invest money, spend it on paint, flooring, HVAC, yard, front door, bathroom floors and shower, kitchen counters and floors and appliances.
5) Get expert advice. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate agents who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you are interviewing multiple agents, tell them all this. If you’re going to sell the home on your own, don’t make enemies by lying about your intentions. Great agents are rare, but they make more money for their clients than they earn.
6) Have an amazing marketing plan. Again, great agents earn their value by effectively marketing houses and finding the right buyers. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack. If you aren’t selling your house on your own, you should still ask the agent you are hiring what they are going to do. If they can’t answer that, you need to find a new agent….
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Oklahoma City area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff listed above. No repairs, no cleaning, no marketing, no agents, no showings, no commission, no closing costs.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself….But Still Want To Sell Your Oklahoma City Oklahoma House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property up, upgrading the property, marketing the property… those all take money and can take lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things... AND you can wait the 3-9 months it takes to sell houses in this market… then you’ll be better off financially to do those things and then to pay a real estate agent to sell it.
If you don’t have the funds to do these things... AND can’t wait months to sell your house…or just don’t want to deal with the normal drama of selling a house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Oklahoma City house buying service. Just submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, then we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
You should know that we can close FAST if you need us to. As quick as 10 business days but normally around 14-21 days, longer if needed.
Our advice is consider all your options. Talk to a real estate agent. Figure out the time and money it would take to sell using an agent. Talk with us. Get a no obligation, as-is offer. Then, decide what is best for you.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Oklahoma City“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up and get it all nice and ready with the steps above to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Oklahoma City, we can help you. Call or text us any time at (405) 673-4901. You can also fill out the form below and we’ll reach out to you within 24 hours.